Sunday, September 19, 2010

a satisfying investment

i recently made some muffins that called for cutting cold butter into the flour mixture. i've never been very good at this, mainly because it takes so long to do it with two knives that i would give up before the butter bits were small enough. these muffins didn't turn out so well either. i don't know if it's because of my bad butter-cutting technique or if it was just a dud recipe - anyway, i decided to buy a pastry blender. it was only $3.99 at Target, and i've already decided that it was money well spent. tonight i used it to make the most delightfully flaky buttermilk biscuits. here are some pictures.

pastry blender at work

well-blended dough

pre-baking
btw, that's not old nasty dr pepper in the background - it's olive oil

try not to drool

i like strawberry preserves. and butter.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh! Sounds like a delightful little investment. I do the same thing. Cutting in butter is a pain. But those look DELICIOUS! Make me some when you come home, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that look delicious!

    I learned recently that you can use a food processor to cut in the butter/shortening too. I don't have a pastry cutter, but I've used my 2-cup mini food processor... after trying with the knives once. You're right, too much work. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds like a good idea! i don't have a food processor though. i'll have to put it on my list of kitchen stuff that i need. along with decent knives, and a rolling pin.

    ReplyDelete