Saturday, March 28, 2009

where are the walnuts?

I was home in Magnolia last week visiting my family, and while I was there my mom made some delicious chicken salad.  She puts a little bit of everything in her chicken salad - celery, apple,  walnuts - and I decided I wanted to copy her recipe and make some to take to work for lunch.  So I went on a much-needed shopping trip tonight to get some groceries.  I found the chicken, apples, and celery right away.  Then I went on a hunt for walnuts.  Now, all my life, my mother has had a big bag of walnuts in the freezer.  The walnuts have always been in the freezer.  It never occurred to me that they would be kept anywhere else.  So there I was, pushing my shopping cart up and down the freezer aisles, looking for the frozen nut section.  It wasn't there.  I suppose I was in a somewhat stuporous state, having gotten up at 5:15, worked an 8-hr shift at the hospital, and then walk/jogged 3 miles afterward.  But all I could think was, "where are the frozen walnuts?"  I almost asked someone to help me find them.  Then I thought about calling Mom to ask her where she usually buys frozen walnuts.  Finally, after walking up and down the freezer aisles a few time, I realized that normal people probably don't keep walnuts in the freezer.  Normal people probably find them in the baking section of the grocery store, next to the pecans and almonds.  Which is where I found them.

5 comments: